Thursday, February 5, 2009

I love blogging, but the only thing that sucks about it is that I can’t talk about 80% of what I wish that I could talk about because my life runs a very close parallel to “Fight Club.”

#1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.
#2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

#1 - The first rule of Rachel’s Life is: you do not talk about Rachel’s Life.
#2 - The second rule of Rachel’s Life is: you DO NOT talk about Rachel’s Life!


I have a lot of good stories. I also like to write in order to revamp and process. I can’t do that a lot of times because of issues regarding confidentiality, so I wind up writing about things that either aren’t that important or aren’t that interesting. Just take my word for it. I have an incredibly rich and bizarre life. I should keep a personal journal of all of the weird crap that I experience. I used to do that. Moving on.

Yesterday was a dynamite day. It was terrific. I started out job shadowing at this place where I really, really want to work. All I will say about it is that the place is a career counseling facility. The thought of helping people, doing research, and administering assessments = pure joy. I never saw myself growing up like this- being excited about a possible career that would make a lot of people want to stab themselves (let’s face it. Very few people think find administering career assessments fulfilling)- but to me, this would be a perfect fit. This is also where I will stop discussing it because I don’t want to breach confidentiality.

Now, let me tell you about class last night. The fire alarm kept going off, so we had to leave class. When the firefighters cleared the building, we returned to class, but the alarm kept sounding. Eventually we just sat in our chairs with this ridiculous, loud alarm making all of our brains rattle around in our heads.

I was irritated, to say the least. We also talked about a bunch of meaningless issues as my prof. read off the power points. Read every single word on every single ppt. Really? Are we in grad school? Then, after my ears wanted to shrivel up and fall off my head and bury themselves under the ground, I decided instead of having a coronary, I would just start writing down everything my prof. said that was driving me effing crazy. Here is my abbreviated list:

“There is tons of cases…”

“There was four of you…”

“There is endless laws…”

“There is people in prison…”

“There is people on lists….”

“There is always many sides to every story.”

“There is a lot of stories in the news.”

“There is situations…”

Now you can see how stressed I become by sitting in a hard plastic desk for 2.5 hours. It isn’t just that the building is always 10 degrees and that I have scoliosis and sitting in that desk makes my spine warp into a slinky, but I am subjecting my very sensitive grammar filter to hearing a “mid-westerner” (Sidenote: everyone who is NOT from California says that they are from the “mid-west.” People accuse me of being from the mid-west. Drives me insane. If you are north of the Mason-Dixon line, you are a Yankee. If you are south of it, you are a Southerner. If you’re from the East coast, you say that, and if you’re from the West Coast, just say you’re from Cali. Everywhere in between can be called the mid-west. Thank you.) completely butcher the English language. Now, I understand that casual conversation may not have all of the proper uses of words that one would use while writing a paper, but saying crap like, “There is a lot of you in this classroom,” is just plain ignorant. My prof. has a DOCTORATE. I’m telling you. There are several people in my program who need to take a remedial, community-college level English course that teaches them the basics of how to speak and write.

Last night my friend came over and cooked a wonderful meal. Something about eating hot foot every once in a while is very comforting. Something about being tired and hungry and eating food that is hot makes me feel complete and safe and tired, and I like that. I slept like a rock. It meant a lot to me, too, that my friend would come over and cook for no reason. Not many people are so generous. God has blessed me with knowing really good people.

Right now it’s drizzling and all I want to do is sleep all day, but I’m not tired- just unmotivated by the weather. Homework time

No comments: