Monday, September 15, 2008

So... I feel like it's necessary to blog just for the sake of keeping current, though I don't feel like I have a lot to contribute tonight. The things that have gone on recently are not completely Internet-friendly, so I don't want to divulge too much from my recent adventures, but I'll just hit a few high points.

Over the weekend, I attended an unusual party at an aspiring white rapper/full time substitute teacher's apartment. This was interesting, to say the least. How would you like your kid to be in Mr. Williams (by day) class only to see him as Jam Master P-Fly Funk Ho Smacka (by night) on the street on Saturday? If I ever have kids, I'm just going to lock them in the basement until they turn 18. I'll shove educational toys and well-balanced meals under the door until they are old enough to choose their own methods of corruption. Anyway, I digress. I met a few very nice people on Friday, but I also met some people that I was pretty sure ran around with Charles Manson back in the '60's. The night concluded with a circle of "musicians" (drunken guitar jammers) playing Johnny Cash tunes and me belting out "Ring of Fire" at the top of my lungs. I have no inhibition when it comes to... well... most things. I was going to say when it comes to making a fool out of myself around complete strangers, but really, in most situations I don't give a flying flip unless I'm going to risk hurting someone's feelings or I have to admit to being serious, which I hate a lot.

On Saturday, I attended an LSU alum party at Manhattan Beach where I watched the LSU/U.North Texas game. I left a little bit early because the only person that I talked to was some older man that was borderline mid-life crisis creepy and my cousin called me three sheets to the wind and all of a sudden I got sad. She called me crying, telling me how proud she was of me for moving, and how she loved me like her sister, and how much she missed me, and all of a sudden, I had a rock in my stomach, regardless as to whether or not I was recognizing her phone call as a full fledged drunk dial. I started thinking about how I miss my cousin and my sisters and my pet cat. Most of the time, I'm so busy doing other things that I don't take the time to stop and think about the people that I miss, but for a while, I thought about it on Saturday and felt a little bit down. I came back to my apartment and my sister called me. She was with my other cousin. That made me a little sad, too. I layed on my bed (is it lay? layed? lain? I never know how those stupid verbs work) and thought about how my mean, grouchy, class 3 obese cat used to lay on my chest and purr, and I got sad thinking about how I don't have that now. So, I blamed all of this on hormones and started vacuuming furiously, as I always do.

All Friday night, I was with a bunch of crazy drunk people, and on Saturday I kept having these odd phone encounters with them. First my cousin, then I came home and did some homework, and my friend called me a little bit lit. I didn't know it at first, though. I went to his apartment and "we" watched a movie. He was drunk and passed out, so I watched the movie solo for a minute or two before I had a serious anxiety attack and left. Actually, it wasn't an anxiety attack. It's like I had this big revelation of feeling intrusive (which didn't even make sense, because he was out cold) and felt like I had to run out of there as fast as I could.

How do you handle that? I don't know. If you're going to hang out with someone, but when you go hang out with them and they're drunk and asleep, should you leave quietly or should you just hang around for a while until they come to so you can tell them goodbye? Maybe I should google this. Not like it's a real crisis, but in my amplified emotional state the other day, this seemed like a matter of life and death.

Sunday, I visited this little tiny church near my house. I really liked it because it was so nontraditional. The music was bad, the preaching was decent, there were hardly any people there... and they were genuine. I liked it. I'm going to visit again.

This morning I picked up the guy who lives in my parents' guest house. He was in LAX for a short stint so we grabbed breakfast. It was nice to hear some Southern terms of endearment and to get a hug from a person who knows where I come from and knows my parents. I wonder why that is? Something about someone knowing remotely who you are seems to count for a whole lot when there aren't many people like that in existence.

This is the most pointless blog I have ever submitted. I keep debating on whether or not I should just X this screen. Why should I, though? I've put a few minutes into it so I might as well publish it. This is why I am often exhausted just by being alive. I over analyze everything. I guess this can pay off in my field, but dude, it wears me out. Maybe I won't have any insomnia tonight and I'll fall asleep quickly. I'm gonna go try that out.

2 comments:

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

Mis.Rachel I love you!!! I love the post, its real, its you. No need to get rid of it!!! Guess what you inspired me to go back to school for my masters!! Woot Woot!

RayHay said...

MISS BOBBI! I am so excited that you're going back to school! I can't tell you how rewarding it has been for me- I hope that you get an even better experience! Since you and I love kids and always wind up in the helping professions, I know that God is going to use our hard work in education to pay off for Him! I love you and am so excited for you!