Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Funemployment Rawks

Unemployment is starting to be really fun. I think in about two weeks, I could lose it, but as of now, it's working out well. I swam a bunch of laps today and starting getting my paperwork together for grad school and sent out some resumes. I just spent an hour playing Hank Williams songs on the guitar. I rode my bike around the driveway and ate leftovers by the pool. I haven't been able to enjoy time off in a long, long time. I'm starting to like it.

I just wrote like ten paragraphs about how stupid people always feel the need to update their Facebook statuses with really dumb things, like, "...

You know what?

I was about to post an idiot's EXACT status update, and then I thought,

"You know, somebody is going to read this and think you're a huge a-hole for calling that girl an idiot," and then I decided to delete it all.

I'm going through a weird phase where I'm trying to figure out what my ultimate goal is for a career. I used to be really sure, but then I realized that I'm not enough of a do-gooder to spend the rest of my life being poor. Also, I'm sick of always having jobs but never having a career. I want something to work towards.

Is it toward? or towards?

Anyway, I've been setting up meetings with people that I like and people who are smart and picking their brains about where my life should go, and it's been a very insightful and enriching experience. I've even been exposing myself (ha, makes me sound like an exhibitionist, doesn't it? I'd change "expose" to "interact," but now you're hooked) to people I've lost touch with or I haven't liked in the past, and I'm finding out that maybe I have more in common with a lot of people than I think. I self-isolate a lot. I don't know why. I'm really happy when I'm around a big group of people. You'd think I'd spend more time interacting with groups. But a lot of times I just want to be a hermit, and I turn my phone on silent and turn my Skype off so nobody will contact me. Anyway.

It's been nice to reconnect with people and learn from people and see people in a new perspective now that I've lived on a different planet and got a degree in counseling and worked with some severely emotionally/mentally impaired people. It sort of changes you.

I started out wanting to Blog about all kinds of hilarious ongoings, but I can't think of any now that I'm actually typing. I need to write more. Writing is the only thing I never get sick of. When people talk to me, I think of their words running across the top of my mind in a big long word banner. It's like closed-captioning for my brain. Isn't that weird? I think that's a sign that I need to write more. I really want to write a book. I started writing one in 2006, but I couldn't ever develop my ideas, and it was fiction, and I'm starting to think that maybe I could write an autobiography about one genre of my life. I need to get on that. But right now I need some Chunky Monkey.

No comments: